Ten years ago I started working full-time as a web developer, leaving behind my career in Physics. It is a decision I have never regretted. For the last decade I have been able to spend my days working on what, for a long time, was mostly a hobby. My passion for developing websites continues today.
This is the website of Andy Carter a PHP and jQuery web developer in the Steel City. Working with CakePHP (and a bit of Textpattern and Drupal too).
Semver is a popular way of versioning applications and software libraries. However, if you use
git tag to list out all your tagged versions of a Git repository you’ll probably find the tags returned are not listed in the expected order. That’s because by default Git uses lexicographic order, also known as dictionary or alphabetical order. Therefore,
1.10.0 will come before
1.2.0 when listing the tags in ascending order.
Nice little runthrough of what
Did you know that if you mistype a Git command you can automatically run the suggested fix? I’ve been using Git for many years now and only just come across this feature today. To enable it you need to assign a value to the config setting
For the last few months I’ve been using a great app for working with databases called TablePlus. I want to share with you some of the reasons why I like it. Just to be clear, this is a personal piece; I have not been paid to write this and have no affiliation with TablePlus or its developers. I simply love using it and here’s why.
Visual Studio Code is hot stuff right now and is quickly becoming the editor of choice for developers worldwide. It’s available for Macs, Windows and Linux and best of all it’s free. These are what I consider the essential Visual Studio Code extensions for PHP developers to improve your productivity.
A look at using PHP traits with Laravel’s Eloquent models, hooking them up with events and making them configurable.
- RT @FrontEndSheff: Join us on 30 January at @SheffTechParks for two talks: 🕵🏼♀️ Beth North @EccentricTester) - Nought to Tester 🙈 James S… 14 January 2020
- RT @cakephp: CakePHP 4.0.2 release now available! Amongst other things, this release updates the composer certificate bundle, and ensures t… 14 January 2020
- Just finished submitting train delay compensation claims for @EastMidRailway and @greateranglia. Filling the forms… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 6 January 2020
- RT @cakephp: Help us name that plugin! CakePHP is getting an official queuing plugin, but we need your help giving it a name. Join the conv… 6 January 2020
- RT @manwithoutatan: I want to give some perspective for people not from Australia. More Aussie land is currently burning than exists in the… 2 January 2020